Howdy, Magicians! We’ve been putting in some serious hours to make the wizard game that we’ve always wanted to play and we’re simply thrilled with our progress. In this update, we talk about our new character model, modular equipment system, and improvements to the inventory screen, along with our brand new combat music.
Fictorum 0.8.4 Patch Notes
New Main Character Model
Leif has been doing the lion’s share of the artwork for our game and wanted to take a stab at redesigning him so that he fit better with the world.
As usual, he’s knocked it out of the park! We’re thrilled with the quality work and detail that he has given this powerful wizard.
Our last set of major changes to our itemization brought us here: Items that are equipped will now appear on the player. Few things in an RPG feel as good finding some badass new gear, slapping it on your character, then seeing the change.
Combat and Ambient Music
Our friends at Rainfall.tv have whipped up their first concept of combat and ambient music! Depending on the scenario, the game will play whichever is the most appropriate for the situation. See this in action in a gameplay video:
Chip felt that having separate Rune and Equipment tabs on the Inventory Screen felt unnecessary. As we now have some space from when we reworked out itemization, Chip condensed the inventory window into a single panel to allow for easier use!
Running Unreal Engine 4.13
Greg spent several nights bringing Fictorum up to the latest version of the Unreal Engine, which offers a slew of graphical and performance enhancements!
Bug Fixes and Minor Enhancements
- Fictorum now will keep your window video settings (we’re glad to not see this in the bug list anymore!)
- Cost and sell value of items have been drastically changed
- Miasma and Inquisition events will no longer lock the World Map HUD
- Passive abilities are now tracked in the user interface (only while in a level)
- Rotation and location are now shown properly on the Bug Logger screen (L key)
- New Video Settings are available in the Game Settings
- Rintara’s negative status resistances have been significantly increased
- Player starting stamina has been increased by an additional 50%
- Plate boots can now be found throughout the world
- Armor bonuses have been modified for plate, leather, and robes
- Reflective shield visual effects have been toned down
- All melee enemies have had their movement speed increased
- Loot containers will contain loot more often, but will have lower quality loot
- Attempted fix for a known AMD card issues when certain particle emitters are displayed
- Casting, idle, and running animations have improved for the majority of characters
- Chain Reaction will deal full spell output on the first hit, and then decrease spell output by 20% after each subsequent hit (to a minimum of 20%)
- All world map buttons are disabled properly after action is taken on the world map
- Resolved issues with certain starting titles having items permanently equipped
- Corrupted Liches now properly deactivate all particle emitters upon death
- A new starting title will be awarded to those who complete the alpha finale!
We’ll be hosting another Twitch stream on Tuesday, October 18th at 8pm PT. Come check out how Fictorum is progressing!
Talk to you next time! Updates can come straight to you by subscribing to our newsletter below:
We also have more fun stuff posted on Twitter and Facebook, so follow and like us there. Feel free to get in touch with the team at firstname.lastname@example.org to share any comments, feedback, or thoughts that you might have!