Greetings, Spellcasters! We’ve been burning the midnight oil working on the latest version of Fictorum, and we’re really looking forward to sharing our progress with you! Our quest system has gotten a facelift, which will provide a more interesting, varied, and tailored play experience for you. Additionally, our itemization is undergoing a bit of an overhaul, and we have been cooking up a special boss finale for those playing Fictorum Alpha.
Fictorum 0.8.3 Patch Notes
New Maps and “Final” Level
We have made great progress in building new levels and maps in a variety of environments. Here’s a peek at a new map—The largest to be created for Fictorum!
A special closing event has been created for the alpha. Beware to all those who reach the end of Chapter Four.
Quests and World Interaction
- Non-Player Characters (NPCs) in events may ask the Fictorum to protect or destroy structures, guard fellow townsfolk from hostiles, or enact vengeance by maiming specific enemies instead of the entire enemy horde
- Failure events: Incomplete quests may end in failure, with an overwhelmed Fictorum deciding to flee the area
- Player-to-NPC interaction: NPCs may now approach you with an opportunity to buy items
The item slots that we previously had in place hadn’t been touched in over a year and were well overdue for a revisit. After a lot of thinking, tinkering, and play-testing, we’re getting closer to our final item slots! This will allow for more variation in play style and allow you to make the call in how to best outfit your Fictorum for battle!
- Rare and unique gloves, boots, armor, and amulets can now spawn with passive abilities related to the item type—For instance, you could find a powerful set of boots that grant the haste passive ability or enchanted plate mail with a projectile shield
- Rare and unique rings can spawn with active abilities—Do you replace your rare ring with a blink ability for a unique ring with gravity well? Tough choices are in your future!
- Spells, active abilities, and passive abilities now appear on inventory tooltips!
- We’re removing earrings, trinkets, relics, and sources, but don’t worry—you’ll still find the same benefits distributed over existing items. Our old inventory screen is on the left—we felt it had way too many slots to manage. We feel our consolidated inventory (see the right screen) much better fits the no-nonsense attitude of the Fictorum.
- We have more exciting changes to the inventory coming—We are hopeful that the majority of which will in the next patch!
Bug Fixes and Minor Enhancements
- Doors will properly dislodge and will no longer impede players when knocked off their hinges
- Location events across a chapter will have a more controlled distribution of non-combat, avoidable combat, and unavoidable combat events
- Chance of loot pickups spawning has been decreased
- Collision improved for the majority of trees
- Left-clicking an item in the inventory while at an enchanting table will automatically move the item to the enchanting table
- Fixed a bug where the player would be instantly killed by fall damage after being thrown by an impact and hitting the ground within a split second
- Corrupted enemies no longer make human noises when taking damage
- The Fictorum jumping and falling animations have been slightly improved
- Fixed a bug where a spell would hit a structure and occasionally not register any damage
- Descriptions added for spells on inventory tooltips
- Corrupted lich’s lightning ball spell now properly collides with the environment
- Fixed a bug that would occasionally cause the “Inventory is Full” window to display unnecessarily
- Corrupted shamblers no longer can receive items
- The number of Warlock spawns in-level have been capped
- Ice Warlocks slow effects have been reduced
- Fixed a bug that would occasionally cause the currently equipped item tooltip to display when hovering on empty slots
- Lightning Orb will no longer target dead enemies
- Fixed a bug that would allow storm spells to be cast for zero mana
- Enchanting table spawn rates have been slightly reduced
- Rock wall sound effect volume will now scale properly with audio settings
Limited Time Support
For a limited time you can show us your support by buying access to the Fictorum Alpha for $30. The last day to support us will be September 30th, which is only a few days away!
We’ll be hosting another Twitch stream on Tuesday, October 4th at 8pm PT. Come check out how Fictorum is progressing!
Talk to you next time! Updates can come straight to you by subscribing to our newsletter below: